Ceramic art is a form of art that is done with ceramics, as opposed to another medium (e.g., drawing, painting). This is a type of art made from inorganic, nonmetallic materials such as clay and glass. The term typically refers to art made of such materials, but it also refers to the craft of making. Although there are various materials from which ceramic art can be made, the most common are clay, glass, metal, plastic, and wood.
Clay is the most common material for ceramics and can be decorated by a wide range of techniques. Although ceramics can be made using a wide range of techniques, the most common are throwing (also known as hand-building), shaping or molding, and building up or stacking.
Revisiting Ceramic Art History
While ceramics as an art form has been around since ancient times, working with clay has also been used for more practical purposes. Almost every civilization throughout the ages has made a few pots or bricks; the use of clay to make pots dates back as far as 17,000 years ago and traces of fired pottery have been found in Italy dating back to 13,000 BC. Since then, ceramic artists have experimented with different types of clay and glazes. And while there’s no exact definition of what constitutes “ceramics,” it’s generally agreed that the process involves both molding and firing.
Different Forms of Ceramic Art
Ceramic art is a form of art that includes pottery, culinary art, and sculpture. The material is an object that has been shaped and hardened by heating to high temperatures in a kiln. It is one of the oldest forms of art, with artifacts dating back to 10,000 BC. Ceramics are a popular medium for artists, and there are several forms of this applied art. These are:
- Tile – Tile is a form of ceramic art that has been around for thousands of years, and it’s still going strong today. Tiles are made from clay, which is used to make pottery and bricks. Tiles are used for flooring, interior decoration, and wall cladding. Some tiles can be used in the bathroom or kitchen, while others are decorative and used on furniture and walls.
- Tableware – While most of us think of tableware items as just the things we use to eat our food, some see them as an additional form of ceramic art. These people are willing to spend big bucks on the items they love. Ceramic artists create their works of art, and then they put them on the market for the general public to buy. There are so many different types of ceramic tableware available on the market, and they all vary in cost from piece to piece. You can even pick up high-quality and artistic ceramic tableware from retailers like Kohl’s. Dinnerware and serveware like this can often cost a tidy sum, but that doesn’t mean that you have to give up hope of ever owning some for yourself. Using a site like Raise, you may be able to find coupons and discounts that will help you make great savings on your purchase. Shopping for your home doesn’t have to burn a hole in your wallet!
- Studio pottery – Studio pottery has long been a form of artwork created by artists using ceramics as their medium. Studio pottery creates space and form and exhibits the personality of the artist. It is formed using a pottery wheel and various hand-building techniques and is often embellished with paint, texture, glazing, and other materials.
- Terracotta – Terracotta, or earthenware, is a type of ceramic, but it’s not your grandmother’s pottery. It’s not pottery at all: it’s a type of fired clay that has been used in the production of artworks since the 4th millennium BC. The word “terracotta” comes from the Italian word for “baked earth.”
- Figurines – While some ceramic artists create their art with a functional purpose in mind, other artists use ceramic to make art. The art created in this manner is a form of ceramic artwork that has no function other than to be viewed for its beauty. The first people to create this type of art were the ancient Greeks, who referred to it as “polos” (which means “figurine” in English). More recently, the term “figurine” has referred to a statue or representation, which is typically small in size.
Art is something that makes you feel, and it makes you feel in many different ways. Whether you are looking at the colors or the shapes, or the way it makes you feel, every single piece of art is different. However, as ceramic art, this exact feeling is much different. When you look at ceramic art, you don’t think about it as a piece of art, but instead, think about what it means. This is because when you see ceramic art, you can feel the emotion of the artist that made it.